Dodge Ramcharger For Sale on Craigslist
The Dodge Ramcharger was a full size two door SUV that had two separate production runs. The first of which began in 1974 and ran until 1993 with the second a three year run in 1999, 2000 and 2001. There was also a Plymouth version called the Trailduster which ran from 1974 to 1981. Both of these versions were based on the Dodge D Series / RAM pickup truck chassis, however featured a shorter wheelbase.
Dodge Ramcharger Specifications
Listed below are the stock specifications for the Dodge Ramcharger SUV.
- Manufacturer: Chrysler Corporation
- Production & Model Years: 1974 - 1993 & 1999, 2000 & 2001
- Successor: Dodge Durango
- Class: Full-size SUV
- Body Style: 2-door SUV
- Platform: Chrysler AD & BW platform
- Layout: Front Engine / Rear Wheel Drive - 4X4
- Engines: 225 cu in (3.7 L) V6, 318 cu in (5.2 L), 360 cu in (5.9 L), 440 (7.2 L) V8
- Transmission: 3-Speed TorqueFlite Automatic, 4 Speed Manual
- Wheelbase: 106.0 in (2,692 mm) | 2nd Generation
- Length: 184.6 in (4,689 mm) & 188.0 in (4,775 mm) | 2nd Generation
- Width: 79.5 in (2,019 mm) | 2nd Generation
- Height: 69.7, 70.6, 73.1 & 74.1 in | 2nd Generation
Dodge Ramcharger History
The Dodge Ramcharger was designed and produced originally to be a full time recreational vehicle however a 2WD version was brought to market in the second market year. Because of its size the Ramcharger competed with the Ford Bronco and Chevrolet K5 Blazer. Like these other full size SUVs, the early model Ramchargers had a removable hardtop with available soft tops.
While there were different engine options throughout the years the most common was the 318 cubic inch 5.2 liter V8. The Ramcharger was equipped with front and rear Dana 44 axles. The heavy duty design of the Ramcharger including limited slip differentials made the Ramcharger a very popular vehicle for off-road enthusiasts.
Third Gen Ramcharger (Mexico Only)
The third generation Ramcharger was produced in Mexico for the Mexican market only. A unique element that made this version of the Ramcharger unique was a small folding seat in the cargo area. The 3rd generation Ramcharger was powered by a Magnum V8 and only offered in 2WD versions.